Sunday, July 29, 2007

Business trip

I just got back from a week long sales trip to Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. It was a long week with lots of planes, long car rides, and new customers. The good news is our product was well received at every stop. There were a few skeptics of course, but when people saw our demo system they were impressed. I tend to shoot straight with people and add a little dash of humor to keep them smiling and people seem to respond well.

It is really amazing the bill of goods that people have been sold about Zigbee. I guess we all want to believe deep down inside that "things" will be easy! No matter what it is, we are conditioned to be believers - - -even when we know better.

I had one customer ask me if our system would support 65,000 nodes. He is an engineer who is currently using Zigbee from one of our competitors. Currently he would be happy if he could get 10 working well. I told him in theory, we could support 65K nodes. I also told him that I wanted to be there when it happened, as I was sure it would be a train wreck like we had never seen before. He laughed, but I had the distinct impression that if I had said sure it would. that he would have believed. Like most of us he wanted to!

One thing that was of particular interest was the fact that I did not see one single customer who was using Zigbee (or planned to) in what I would call a classic application. Tells me we best keep our pocket knives handy. We will be trimming a lot of square pegs to go in round holes if we are to be successful!

I have a weeks worth of action items to work on next week, so it will be a busy week.

Ah yes the joys of pressing the flesh!

No comments: