Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Taking Stock

I guess I am in a "high road" state of mind these days. That may be a natural defense mechanism to keep me away from sharp objects! At any rate I do find myself focusing on the positive aspects during these troubled times.

To that end I have been "taking stock" of late, of all my blessings, and there are many. It is awfully easy to look at the mess around us and despair at our plight, but that yields little fruit.

I am going to try to take a minute each day to do a little inventory of what really matters. For me that would be family, friends, health, and happiness. I started to put pets in there, but I was afraid it would make me sound somehow shallow and needy, so I will leave them out of this - -but you get my drift.

I am going to try and remember to tell those I care about how much they mean to me. It is good exercise, and I clearly need that. Speaking of that, for me health is a big issue. That is one area where work needs to be done, big time. I was always concerned that I would outlive my financial resources. After all $328.52 is not that much money! Now I worry that my money will outlast me by at least $250.

I suggest we all take stock each day. I think our treasure may be much greater than we think. It is really good exercise for the heart, and may well lift the days burdens from our shoulders. By the way, if you see me with a big old cheeseburger going toward my mouth, slap it out of my hand and tell me you love me. We will both feel better!

No comments: