Monday, September 14, 2009

Bubbles

I was in Cracker Barrel Saturday morning and they were having a porch sale. It is really hard for me to pass up a sale, especially a porch sale! I spotted some children's battery powered bubble blowers, and decided I could not pass them up. I was filling a small hand basket when the smooth talking sales lady saddled up to me and said "Hey buddy, I got 3 or 4 cases of those in the back if you want." She obviously spotted me as a man with vision or as an easy mark! I told her I would take 2 cases, and a man standing behind me piped up and said "I will take 2 cases as well". He wife immediately called him out on that and said "What are you going to do with 2 cases of bubble blowers?" He pulled himself up and in his best man tone said; " Oh yea, what do you think he is going to do with 2 cases of bubble blowers." Made perfect sense to me!

As we were waiting at the check out with our bubble machines, we caused quite a stir. His wife was still questioning the wisdom of his purchase, meanwhile folks were trying to get close enough to see what was so great that these 2 old dudes were buying them by the case. Needless to say Cracker Barrel sold out of bubble machines in record time - - -and all the customers were men like myself who saw the vision.

I raced home to award my neighbors on the river from my new found larder. They all acted excited, but the trail of bubbles I expected to see floating down the river never really materialized that lazy Saturday afternoon.

I guess some people just outgrow bubbles. I hope I never do! I choose to believe that the other guy had better luck. I bet somewhere there was a whole neighborhood awash in bubbles. I bet his wife was even telling people it was her idea - - and that would be OK. I think I will try again next week!

No comments: