Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Weekend

We are trained through out our lives to be very goal oriented. We are instilled with sayings that foster this - -"begin with the end in mind" , "don't take your eye off the ball". We are working to make a good grade, to get a promotion, or to achieve some status. To get ahead we are taught is a virtue. We work hard and save so that we can have a "meaningful" retirement, and leave something to our heirs. "He who dies with the most toys" and all that I guess.



This is all well and good, and I for one have not only learned this lesson well, but I have preached it to my son as well as to others who have come under my tiny sphere of influence over the years.



But what of the others, the ones for whom the journey itself is the goal. Louis and Clark, Christopher Columbus, Marco Polo, and countless other just like them. Artists, philosophers, musicians, and countless free spirits who have roamed the earth. A road less travelled?



How did I get here in these deep waters you ask? Well, I started out thinking about my weekend. It was great. Like most weekends, if I don't have a project, I take my hand off the rudder and let the current take me where it will. In most cases that random course to nowhere turns out to be very enjoyable. We roam the country side with no destination in mind except what is round the next bend. The joy is in the journey not the destination.



My mother always taught me that happiness is a journey not a destination. I forget sometimes and I really should not. This weekend I remembered!

Enjoy the ride, it is all to often a short one.

The journey really is important!

No comments: